Chief of Staff
I am married to Deb (Retired High School Guidance counselor) and have 2 sons- Connor (Mizzou Graduate) and Sean (Student at Iowa State). I grew up in Ankeny, IA, went to Iowa State University for undergraduate and veterinary school, and moved to Sandwich, II in 1986 after graduation. I practiced as an associate there before buying the original Ancare Mendota practice in 1991.
I love surgery, feline medicine and ultrasonography. I love to learn new things, travel, hockey, football, biking and anything on the water or outdoors. Both of my sons were or are in scouting- Connor (Eagle Scout) and Sean (working on becoming an Eagle Scout). As a result, we have done a number of High Adventure trips or outings that have allowed us to use all our outdoor skills and get a lifetime of memories.
Lou (A Jack Russell Terrier cross who was a stray in Mendota), Midge and Tater (two DSH stray cats).
I’m a sucker for chick movies.
Favorite Thing about My Job:
It’s a new adventure every day. I like to fix things or figure out what is going on. Animals are incredibly resilient if you don’t let things get too bad. We can help a lot of them if their problem is not neglected. That’s why preventative medicine and education Is so important. There are always new diseases being discovered and our ability to understand different diseases is always changing. When I was a first year veterinary student, a professor told us that 50% of what we are learning will be found to be not true when we retire. I love to educate people about their pet’s health and what we can do to improve their lives.
- 1986 DVM – Iowa State University with Distinction
- 1999 Diplomat of American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (Canine and Feline Practice in 1997, Re-certified in 2007 and 2018
- 2005 President of American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP)
- AAFP Board member (2002-2013)
- 2012 President of Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association (ISVMA)
- ISVMA Board Member (2002-2013)
- Current Chairman of ISVMA Legislative Committee
- American Veterinary Medical Association House of Delegates (AAFP 2006-2014) (Illinois-current)
- Complete Course work by University of Tennessee Veterinary Physical Rehabilitation Program
- Member of International Academy of Pain Management
- Author of 2 chapters in ‘Feline Medicine Secrets’ and National Lecturer on ear and throat disease, laser surgery and staff training.
- Board of Directors of Illinois Valley Area Chamber of Commerce
- Past President of Mendota Rotary International
- Board of Directors for Mendota Chamber of Commerce
- Assistant Scoutmaster Mendota Troop 1402